Friday, June 8, 2012

Heading to Ecuador!

We've got a house/cat-sitter & it's time to fly away again! 



June 16 we head to Ecuador.  Warren will be there 2 months and I will be there 3.  The first week we plan to spend in the Mindo cloud forest fairly close to Quito, then a month at the Pacific Coast area, then 3 weeks in the Amazon, and a month in the Galapagos.


The month at the coast will be spent volunteering with The Biodiversity Group (TBD) starting up a biodiversity photography project with locals.  We will teach the adults, who will teach select kids.  They will document some of the incredible biodiversity in their area, including uploading photos and data to iNaturalist.  TBD is providing small but powerful cameras (Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4).  I'm sure you will see lots of photos here.


Warren has always wanted to go to the Amazon, so the 3 weeks there will be spent exploring and taking photos.  Some of the explorations will be at night (with a guide) since so many incredible critters are mostly active at night (and those that aren't - we might see sleeping).  Good way to celebrate our 8-year anniversary!  We'll be celebrating his birthday in the cloud forest.


The month I will spend in the Galapagos I will be volunteering teaching English to teens/adults; since there are so many tourists in the area, English helps with employment prospects.


Here are a few photos from my 2011 trip:









10 comments:

Joanne Joseph said...

Anita, I loved seeing these photos and can't wait to see more. I am so envious of your adventure and wish you a wonderful, safe, eventful and fun trip!

Marisa Still said...

Lovely blog Anita! See you soon!
-Marisa

Susan and Bill said...

Just not right! We looked and looked for frog in C.R. and never found a one. Heard tons, saw "0". Have a blast, we'll be thinking about you and wishing we were with you. WOW, WOW, WOW... what a trip.

Unknown said...

Susan & Bill - We saw the vast majority of them at night, and I was with experts.

Unknown said...

Have a safe and adventerous trip my friend!! We will need to get together as soon as you return so I can introduce you to the newest member of our family :) I'm hoping he makes an appearance very soon!!! Loves and hugs to you and Warren!! Happy sweet 8th Anniversary!! xoxo

Jan Pearson said...

Safe and rich travels, my friends. You are always off to great adventures.

Unknown said...

I was going to come back in October, but there are babies being born that I need to meet early!

Nicole Brown said...

Yay, another adventure! I look forwar to reading more... and seeing some great photos! The ones from your last trip are fantastic!!

Tom Hager said...

Buen viaje chica!

VBU said...

Amazing photos, Anita! No me sorprende, pero te lo digo--!son espectaculares! Que tengas un viaje lleno y que vuelvas mas inspirada que nunca! :)