Monday, July 23, 2012

Caterpillar Days!

Hello again!   We´ve been having such a great time at the places we´ve stayed that we have usually extended the time there and shortened our stopovers at our ¨base camp¨, Quito.  So not much time for posting, but wanted you to know we are doing great.

I, of course, have been taking photos, but it takes a bit of time to get them up here, so maybe when we get back from the Amazon - we hope to have more time then based out of Quito, with short trips to the highlands.  When I return to Nevada I´ll visit the caterpillar researchers at UNR - pretty amazing stuff (Warren´s ¨500¨comment below is a bit exagerated....more like 300....lol).  Anita

Here´s a quick note from Warren, below.  We are catching a taxi to the airport in a few minutes to flew to Lago Agrio (Bitter Lake) to begin our trip into the Amazon:

We had a wonderful stay at a place called Yanayacu - lots of interesting research going on by different groups from various U.S. universities, including a group from UNR! We hiked, saw lots of very cool birds, and Anita took about 500 caterpillar pictures (so it goes without saying that the caterpillers were pretty spectacular).




So far, the weather has been cool everywhere we have stayed - mostly due to elevations above 6,000 feet and a stay on the coast. But, I think we are now in for some very warm weather. We are heading to the Amazon rainforest tomorrow and will stay for 10 days. I am really looking forward to the experience. 


Ecuador is truely amazing. The diversity of people, environments, and wildlife is overwhelming.



I think we will be out of communication over the next couple of weeks, but who knows, we are constantly surprised.  Warren








3 comments:

Sue said...

Hi Anita & Warren, It sounds like your trip is all that you hoped it would be. I am at the AT&T store trying to get this note sent to you because my other responses did not look they were sent. Enjoy the rainforest! Sue

Unknown said...

I just checked my blog and your comment did post successfully. Today I hope to get photos on the blog. Warren returns

Unknown said...

oops - didn't finish the post - Warren returns August 11th and I will be back a month later.