Friday, August 24, 2012

Snorkeling....

Wow!  I went snorkeling on the 19th at Isla Lobos (lobos = sea lions) & Kicker Rock to swim with turtles, sea lions, eagle rays, and sharks (above the sharks & rays...).

I haven't been snorkeling for over 30 years and was a bit nervous at first and was the last one IN.......but I had so much fun that I was the last one OUT.  The water was cold, but I wore a shortie wet suit and didn't really get chilled.

It was so amazing to just float above the rays, sharks, and turtles and just watch them glide through the water.  The sharks were "safe" ones - white-tipped reef sharks and Galapagos sharks.  The most fun was swimming with the sea lions - the smaller ones would swim right up in your face, probably wondering who these clumsy critters were coming into their habitat.

We swam along the length of the wall on one side, then went through the slot (which is where we saw the sharks & rays), then had a snack and swam the length of the wall on that side.

I had SO much fun!   My plan is to do some more snorkeling and also refresh my scuba diving - I already had a PADI card, but after such a long time, I need a refresher.  The host of the house I'm in is a Master Diver and we'll go to the beach this weekend for the refresher.  UPDATE:  I'm going back to Kicker Rock tomorrow & hope to do the refresher Monday - we have a day off from school

It's been difficult to get my photos uploaded to the internet, but now I have some to show you.

I also saw marine iguanas on the rocks and hope to see them in the water before I leave.

SO...here are some photos:

Dutch friend Susan, and Angel, house host and Master Diver


Desert, sea, volcanic remnants


Susan with a friend.....

Yes, it was THAT close!

Susan taking my pic while I was taking hers..

Marine Iguana-Isla Lobos

The "Dutch Duo" Susan & Sharine, me...

The slot in Kicker Rock

Galapagos Shark

Along the wall at Kicker Rock


Blue-Footed Boobies

Puffer Fish (not puffed up)


SOME of the fish....

Sharine, Angel, Susan, me, and Javier (Dive Master & our snorkeling guide)

They are EVERYWHERE!

What're YOU looking at?!

Some photos that Susan took on the dive trip:


Divers from our boat along the wall at Kicker Rock, about to descend
Marine Iguana, underwater


Yep, that's me....

Me watching a turtle
Me still watching a turtle



Eagle Rays







No comments: